ecoBumba was born in October 2009, when a group of mums in Bunbury WA decided to design a nappy that was similar to the Bubba J pocket nappy, but adapted to become a one-size nappy. After 5 prototypes, the final design was decided on in collaboration with 5 mums in late November 2009, with production beginning in mid- April 2010.
From the product description:
ecoBumba is a one-size pocket nappy based on the Bubba J pocket nappy, with a few little differences.
1. Gently dipped flat front flap, to accommodate buddha bellies.
2. Curved at the wings near the thighs to soften the look of the nappy.
3. Rise snaps: 3 settings – snap down for a smaller baby, and release for a bigger baby.
4. Bamboo inserts: one-size long insert and smaller infant insert included. Fold the long insert according to your baby’s size and wetting needs. Can be used in the day or last all night for most average wetting babies.
5. Trim fit: caters to the smallest and cuddliest babies I could find in Bunbury.
6. Waterproof polyester outer: no cotton outers in this range. This means all nappies can be used at night if need be.
7. Stay-dry microsuede lining: Allows moisture to wick away into the absorbent core
This nappy has multiple sizes and tested to fit from around 3.5kg up to 16kg (petite to average babies), and is designed to be low to mid rise in the front, while providing ample coverage at the back to contain messes.
From feedback from testers and from testing on my own baby, I’ve come to these conclusions:
- The nappy fits from approximately 3.5 kg to about 16kg.
- Babies (especially boys) with a more solid build than the average baby may grow out of these nappies earlier, even if they fall within the weight range. To solve this problem, I have developed a larger OSFM version that would fit to a bigger child. This is still under development in 2013.
- The nappy fits a bit lower in the front, which may or may not be a problem for some babies and some boys. Some mums prefer fuller coverage and would prefer the larger OSFM (to be developed).
- The nappy is able to last all night without leaking for all test babies, using both inserts.
- The leg holes are ample enough for most babies and toddlers (except the cuddliest ones!)
Click on the images to shop for ecoBumba nappies:
For current prices please visit the Bean Sprout Bubba online shop.
Check out http://www.ecobumba.com.au/ for updated stockist information.